Overnight bircher muesli from The Joy of Better Cooking
Wonderful warmer weather fare, particularly if you want to pre-prep in jars and yoink from the fridge. Bircher was one of the OG muesli recipes, created by Mr Bircher-Benner in Switzerland and prescribed to patients. Thankfully it doesn’t taste ‘medicinal’ in the slightest.PRINT
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 tbsp chia seeds optional
- ⅛ tsp ground cinnamon
- a pinch of sea salt flakes
- 1 apple grated
- 1 cup milk, apple juice, kefir, yoghurt or water
- juice of ½ lemon
- ¼ cup plain or coconut yoghurt
- fresh raspberries to serve
- 1 tbsp maple syrup optional; no need if using apple juice
- Combine the oats, chia seeds (if using), cinnamon, salt and half the grated apple with your liquid of choice and leave overnight in the fridge — either in a bowl, or in individual jars if you’re planning on rushing out the door the following morning.
- In a separate container, stir the lemon juice through the remaining apple and pop in the fridge, too.
- Next morning, top with the yoghurt, raspberries, remaining grated apple, and maple syrup if using.