Nectarine & rocket salad with cheat’s caramelised balsamic
Rocket, stone fruit, parmesan – it’s such a classic combination, particularly when it’s paired with a drizzle of syrupy sweet dark vinegar. But shelling out a pretty penny for aged or caramelised balsamic can feel like money down the drain, considering how quickly it gets used up. This cheat’s method, which speeds up the process with a glug of maple syrup, is a perfect way to use up what you’ve already got in the pantry. Warning: this might sting your eyes, but the resulting elixir is worth it.PRINT
- 3-4 firm nectarines (preferably freestone) thinly sliced
- 120 g rocket leaves
- 1 small red shallot thinly sliced
- ¼ cup roasted hazelnuts chopped
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- Olive oil
- Salt flakes and cracked black pepper
- Shaved parmesan to serve
- Reduce balsamic and maple syrup together in a small pot on high heat. Pour into a jar (for storing any excess) and allow to cool slightly.
- Combine the rest of the salad ingredients in a bowl, season with salt and pepper, then arrange parmesan on top, and drizzle with caramelised balsamic.
- Serve without saying a word about where the balsamic came from – your guests will think you’ve spent a bomb.
Tip If you’re taking this to a party, bring the elements in separate containers and toss together when you get there. If you’re pressed for time, combine everything except the caramelised balsamic, cheese and olive oil.