Prawn, Avo and Mango wreath with Thousand Island dressing from Highpoint Christmas
Servings: 6 people
Talk about Summer in Australia! This is such a great collection of some of the country’s best – firm Aussie prawns, creamy avocado, and sharp sweet mango. I like the extra hit of heat from the hot sauce, which takes this sauce to the next level too. Speaking of “next level” how’s the Christmas Wreath plating situation!? So festive!20 minutes PRINT
- 500 gms cooked and peeled prawns trimmed of any squidgy bits
- 1-2 baby cos lettuce
- 1 avocado thinly sliced
- 1 firm but ripe mango thinly sliced
- ½ bunch of mint leaves
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- ⅓ cup natural yoghurt
- 1 ½ tbsp tomato sauce
- 1-2 tsp of hot sauce such as Tabasco dependent on your heat level
- 2 tbsp Kewpie mayo
- Juice of half a lemon
- 2 tbsp of finely chopped chives
- 1 tsp of salt
- If you haven’t bought peeled prawns, then peel and clean. It can be nice to keep the tails on, but feel free to remove for ease of forking.
- Wash your lettuce and chop leaves in half. For the mango, cut the cheeks off and then gently remove the skin with a knife or large sharp spoon. This will leave you with a half cheek which can then be thinly sliced.
- Cut the avocado in half, remove the halves from their skin with a spoon, use the back of the spoon to smooth over any mushy spots, and then cut into thin slices. Drizzle some lemon juice over the avo slices to prevent them from discolouring.
- Arrange your salad ingredients on your platter. Get into the Christmas spirit with a wreath shape or just whack them all into a festive looking bowl.
- To make the dressing, combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and mix together. Taste for seasoning. You can keep the salad and dressing separate until you’re just about to serve.
Tips When serving, drizzle the salad dressing over and if there is some left-over, place on the table for extra prawn dippage. Mango and avocado are terrific together. Make a plant-based version with just these and a plant-based mayo dressing. Subs If you would prefer to keep the dressing simpler, mix equal parts tomato sauce with mayonnaise and lemon to taste.