Easy seedy crackers
Make 48 approx - Vegan, gluten free, dairy free, nut and egg freePRINT
- 1 cup besan flour
- 1 cup mixed seeds (including sesame seeds, poppy seeds, pepitas, sunflower seeds)
- ¼ cup linseeds
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- 2 tbsp each of psyllium husks
- 1-2 tsp salt flakes
- 2 cups boiling water
- Preheat oven to 160C (fan forced) or 180C.
- Line 2 x 25cm x 37cm baking trays with baking paper.
- Mix together all dry ingredients in a large bowl, then pour the freshly boiled water over the top and mix until all hydrated.
- Leave to sit for 15 minutes until thicken and cool enough to handle.
- Halve mix evenly and press into lined baking trays until completely flat using very wet hands or a spatula, getting right into the corners. Place another sheet of baking over the top to get it even flatter by pressing and smoothing over, making sure there are no lumps and dips.
- Press a large blade in the prepared mix to imprint crackers or else just break up when cool.
- Sprinkle over some extra sea salt flakes and bake in the middle of the oven for 40 minutes, switching trays half way through.
- The crackers should be dry. Flip them over remove the baking paper, turn off heat and leave to dry even further in the oven overnight or until cool and dry.
The essential ingredients here are the linseeds, chia seeds and psyllium husks, these exude a gelling agent that makes the crackers stick together.